Center of Excellence Events
Let’s Talk about Youth Violence Using the Public Health Model of Violence Prevention
Date: April 26, 2016
Time: 2:00pm-3:30pm CST
• Jessyca Dudley, MPH, Program Officer at the Joyce Foundation & UIC SPH MCH Alumna
• Rebecca Levin, MPH, Director, Strengthening Chicago’s Youth (SCY) at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
• David DuBois, PhD, Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) School of Public Health, Division of Community Health Sciences
Description: Violent injury and death disproportionately affect adolescents and young adults in the United States. Although homicide rates have dropped in recent years, rates remain unacceptably high. Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicate that homicide is the second leading cause of death among 15- to 24-year-olds overall. In Chicago violence takes are particular toll on youth. For the five-year period from 2009-2014, people ages 18-29 accounted for 51.9 percent of the City’s homicide victims. Preventing youth violence requires the support and contributions of many partners to collect data about violence, learn about risk factors, develop strategies for prevention, and ensure that effective prevention approaches reach those in need. Join us for a webinar that reviews the public health model of violence prevention, provides an overview of available data sources to understand youth violence, and suggest opportunities for effective interventions.
This webinar is presented in partnership with the Joyce Foundation and the UIC Center of Excellence in Maternal and Child Health
Questions: Contact Cindy San Miguel, Program Coordinator for the UIC Center of Excellence in Maternal and Child Health at email@example.com
You can listen to a recording of the webinar by clicking here.
- Erin Howes, MPH(c) writes about her experiences at the Making Lifelong Connections Meeting on the UIC-CoE Blog:…https://t.co/LxCxKchnqD, Apr 28
- MCH students present their capstone on SDOH & preterm births, mental health & Latinos, & smoking cessation in HIV+… https://t.co/W0VRHKDeL4, Apr 26
- MCH Faculty at the #marchforscience https://t.co/5RCfV3480B, Apr 24
- MCH alumni, faculty, and students at the UIC-SPH Alumni Celebration! #thisisUIC https://t.co/77I9fwRhvN, Apr 20
- UIC Students Izumi, Erin, Paula, and UIC alumni, Yuka at the 2017 Making Lifelong Connections Meeting! #thisisUIC https://t.co/cMW7bV8xiL, Apr 6