Internships & Applied Practice Experience Opportunities
MPH in Maternal and Child Health students are required to engage in a 192-320 hour (3-5 credit hours) applied practice experience to acquire experience and develop skills in the application of public health concepts in MCH. Most students complete their applied practice experience between their first and second year in the program, however this is not required. Students must register for IPHS 650 and have their placement approved by the program.
Applied Practice Experience for MPH in MCH Epidemiology Students
MPH in Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology students are given the opportunity to apply for the Graduate Student Epidemiology Program through the Maternal and Child Health Bureau. Students are connected with public health departments across the U.S. to apply their skills in MCH epidemiology. They are provided a $4,000 stipend and earn 5 credit hours for their degree.
MCH Epi students may also also choose to apply for epidemiology internships at a state or local public health department, and field experience opportunities must be approved by the program.
Applied Practice Experience Opportunities for MPH in Maternal and Child Health Students
Maternal and Child Health students can choose to do their internships at non-profit organizations, public health departments, and other health agencies in Chicago, the United States, or abroad. The experience must be related to improving the health of the maternal and child population. Some sites that often host MCH students include:
- National MCH Workforce Development Center’s
- EverThrive Illinois
- Consortium to Lower Obesity in Chicago Children
- Voices for Illinois Children
- Health and Medicine Policy Research Group
Click here for more information on applied practice experience requirements at the School of Public Health. Students can direct general applied practice experience questions to Jaime Klaus at 312-355-4272 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Students in the Community Health Sciences Division should contact Dr. Brenikki Floyd at email@example.com for assistance in identifying applied practice experience opportunities that will best meet their learning goals and needs.
- Opioid Use Disorder Documented at Delivery Hospitalization... https://t.co/gvez0gIW6R via @CDCgov, Aug 13
- "This week, CDC released the first-ever multi-state analysis of trends in opioid use disorder (OUD) in labor and de… https://t.co/pTpHJ53hBZ, Aug 13
- "If parents would let themselves feel proud and amazed, instead of scared, when their kids grow and change, they mi… https://t.co/zmAq2W23QW, Jul 12
- https://t.co/ImFJXvSt87 https://t.co/5lgvecPteu, Jul 12
- #ClimateChange mitigation demands large-scale, equitable solutions that include community members in the process. A… https://t.co/DDOEwJfGE4, Jul 10