Internships & Applied Practice Experience Opportunities
MPH in Maternal and Child Health students are required to engage in a 192-320 hour (3-5 credit hours) applied practice experience (APE) to acquire experience and develop skills in the application of public health concepts in MCH. Most students complete their APE between their first and second year in the program; however, this is not required. Students must register for IPHS 650 and have their APE placement approved by the program.
APPLIED PRACTICE EXPERIENCE (APE) FOR MPH IN MCH and MCH EPIDEMIOLOGY STUDENTS
Maternal and Child Health students can choose to participate in internships or APEs at non-profit organizations, public health departments, and other health agencies in Chicago, in Illinois, other locations in the United States, or abroad. The experience must be related to improving the health of the maternal and child population.
MCH Epidemiology students are required to participate in epidemiology internships at a state or local public health department or at sites in which state or local MCH data are heavily utilized. MCHEPI APE opportunities must be approved by the CoE-MCH even if the student has matriculated through the Epidemiology Division.
Some sites that often host MCH and MCHEPI students include:
- National MCH Workforce Development Center/Title V MCH Internship Program
- EverThrive Illinois
- Consortium to Lower Obesity in Chicago Children
- Voices for Illinois Children
- Health and Medicine Policy Research Group
- Chicago Department of Public Health
- Illinois Department of Public Health
- Lurie Children’s Hospital
Click here for more information on Applied Practice Experience requirements at the School of Public Health. MCH and MCHEPI students can contact Dr. Brenikki Floyd in Community Health Sciences (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance in identifying APE opportunities that will best meet your learning goals and needs. You can also direct general APE questions to Michele Rodriguez Taylor (email@example.com).
INTERNSHIP/APE WITH CityMatCH
CityMatCH at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) is the national membership organization dedicated to promoting equity and improving the health of urban women, children, families, and communities. As a membership organization, CityMatCH provides education and training to over 160 health departments in large cities across the country.
The UIC-SPH CoE-MCH and CityMatCH offer an internship opportunity for MCH and MCHEPI MPH students each summer. Student interns will have the opportunity to assist with several national projects and events. More Information to come for 2021!
- #Masks4MOMsIL needs your help now more than ever! Donate reusable cloth masks and help our pregnant neighbors stay… https://t.co/0XjeiKgfyq, Jul 1
- Right now, wearing a facemask is how we care for our communities. #Masks4MomsIL is supporting pregnant people acro… https://t.co/jkPnAplfza, Jun 24
- #Masks4MOMsIL has collected & shared over 7,000 reusable cloth masks to pregnant people across the Chicago area, bu… https://t.co/pgs0ujVj1Y, Jun 17
- #Masks4MOMsIL has collected & shared over 7,000 reusable cloth masks to pregnant people across the Chicago area, bu… https://t.co/fVLDw77rcx, Jun 17
- Looking for Marketing & Social Media Intern Administrative Assistant Intern. https://t.co/S8xxMLLEwd, Jun 3