Internships & Applied Practice Experience Opportunities
MPH in Maternal and Child Health students are required to engage in a 192-320 hour (3-5 credit hours) applied practice experience to acquire experience and develop skills in the application of public health concepts in MCH. Most students complete their applied practice experience between their first and second year in the program, however this is not required. Students must register for IPHS 650 and have their placement approved by the program.
Applied Practice Experience for MPH in MCH Epidemiology Students
MPH in Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology students are given the opportunity to apply for the Graduate Student Epidemiology Program through the Maternal and Child Health Bureau. Students are connected with public health departments across the U.S. to apply their skills in MCH epidemiology. They are provided a $4,000 stipend and earn 5 credit hours for their degree.
MCH Epi students may also also choose to apply for epidemiology internships at a state or local public health department, and field experience opportunities must be approved by the program.
Applied Practice Experience Opportunities for MPH in Maternal and Child Health Students
Maternal and Child Health students can choose to do their internships at non-profit organizations, public health departments, and other health agencies in Chicago, the United States, or abroad. The experience must be related to improving the health of the maternal and child population. Some sites that often host MCH students include:
- National MCH Workforce Development Center’s
- EverThrive Illinois
- Consortium to Lower Obesity in Chicago Children
- Voices for Illinois Children
- Health and Medicine Policy Research Group
Click here for more information on applied practice experience requirements at the School of Public Health. Students can direct general applied practice experience questions to Jaime Klaus at 312-355-4272 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Students in the Community Health Sciences Division should contact Dr. Brenikki Floyd at email@example.com for assistance in identifying applied practice experience opportunities that will best meet their learning goals and needs.
- Thank you @HealthConnctOne and @EverThriveIL for joining us to talk about community-driven doula programs!… https://t.co/uVyYcCSsXm, Apr 20
- "I felt like I was able to share with others who are experts in maternal & child health and showcase one of the bes… https://t.co/6ngIItJplM, Apr 17
- Race is not a risk factor for Maternal Health, #Racism is. Thank you @doccrearperry for this fantastic article.… https://t.co/G7DZiGi8xH, Apr 16
- Join Planned Parenthood Generation Action for Take Back the Night 4/18 3-5pm @ UIC Atrium w/i SCE, 750 S. Halsted S… https://t.co/bn36anjf8N, Apr 16
- #Workforce development is a critical part of public health work! We need folks who have content expertise in #MCH.… https://t.co/oNo09ZBmgo, Apr 11