Leadership Development and Coaching For MCH Professionals
A Program for Interdisciplinary, Intergenerational MCH Professionals
The Maternal and Child Health Program (MCHP) at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) provides easily accessible, engaging, and efficient leadership development opportunities for MCH professionals. In the broad field of MCH, there are many and varied opportunities to develop leadership capacity related to a specific skill-set and/or knowledge base; however, there are limited opportunities to engage in personal leadership development opportunities that support individuals in exploring their goals and vision for MCH, developing emotional intelligence, and exploring work/life balance and overall life satisfaction. In response, the UIC MCHP offers a 6-month, distance-based professional leadership development and coaching program for MCH professionals across the United States.
The program includes monthly group leadership development phone calls and monthly, individual coaching sessions with a professional leadership coach. All work takes place by phone. The target audience includes intergenerational, interdisciplinary MCH professionals who work in a Title V-funded program or an MCHB-funded training program (LEND, LEAH, PPC, SPH, Nutrition, etc.) and other professionals in the public and not-for-profit sectors who are committed to improving the health and wellbeing of women, children, and families. Because learning is applied at the individual level, participants may include senior level leaders, mid-level managers, emerging leaders, and young professionals. Interested individuals complete a short application and submit a 1-2 page Letter of Interest. The program begins twice each year in January and July. The application due date for the July 2011 program is Monday, May 16, 2011.
Participants in this program:
- Identify leadership strengths and action steps to support the enhancement of these strengths.
- Identify leadership gaps and steps to address noted gaps.
- Develop a set of personal/professional values to guide decision-making.
- Engage in self-reflection exercises to enhance personal leadership and explore opportunities to improve their skill set, work satisfaction, and level of work engagement.
- Identify sources of personal reward and rejuvenation to sustain productivity and MCH commitment.
- Explore their passion for MCH and engage in work that has the impact they desire.
- Create a leadership development action plan to support their ongoing leadership development and commitment to the field of MCH.
- Support your current life situation and not add additional work.
The program and professional coaching is delivered by UIC MCHP Continuing Education Director, Kris Risley, DrPH, CPCC and a group of certified professional coaches trained through the Coaches Training Institute (CTI). The program cost is $1800/person.
If you are a senior level leader with a desire to take on different responsibilities or you would like to develop and carry out a new vision; you are a young professional or emerging leader exploring your career path; you are burned out in your existing work environment; you are ready to take your work to the next level; or you simply have more to offer, please consider this program.
For additional information, please contact Kris Risley via email/phone firstname.lastname@example.org/312-996-2875 or Jaime Klaus at email@example.com/312-996-0724 or visit our website. If you would like to apply for the program, please complete the Application and return to Jaime Klaus.